Image via Pexels
When you’re on a budget, it can be difficult to decorate your apartment’s living room exactly how you want to. Have you ever thought that instead of buying that expensive accessory, you can just make it yourself?
Creating your own pieces for your home will save you money and add a personal touch to the room. Simply run to your nearest craft store and get to work! Here are a few DIY projects that will help spice up your living room for less:
1. Painted Bottle Vases
Flowers and plants are the perfect addition to a living room. They have the ability to brighten even the darkest of rooms. Instead of splurging on a vase for your new plant, why not just make your own? Painted bottle vases are the perfect lodging for plants and flowers and what makes them even better is how inexpensive and simple they are to make. All you need is an empty glass bottle, paint, paintbrushes, a bowl and a syringe.
- Mix the color you want your vase to be. When it comes to paint, chose a type of paint that will not interfere with the vase’s purpose. If you use watercolors, you will not be able to put water inside the vase since the paint will wash off. If you need to put water in the vase, opt for a different kind of paint, such as wall paint or acrylic.
- Use the syringe to transfer the color from the bowl to the inside of the bottle. Move the bottle around to ensure that the paint reaches every area of the vase evenly.
- Cover the bottles with a top and let them stand upside down for a few hours. This will get rid of any excess paint.
- Flip the bottles back, remove the top, and let dry. It could take a few days for the paint to dry, so be patient.
- Once dry, fill your new vase with your favorite flower or plant!
2. Belted Mirror
To make your mirror stand out from the rest, try this DIY belted mirror. For this project, all you’ll need is three leather belts and a round mirror. Follow these steps to achieve a fun and modern look for your living room’s mirror:
- Take one belt and wrap it around the sides of the mirror. Since it will only reach about halfway, cut the ends of the belt, which include the tail and buckle, located approximately at the nine and three o’clock positions. Repeat this step as you use the second belt to cover the remaining side.
- Attach the belts to the mirror using a combination of permanent tape and a hot glue gun.
- Take the third belt and cut the buckle off as close to the edge as possible. Take the buckle you just cut off and attach it to the same belt’s tail end by running it through the second hole. Glue the back of the belt to one side of the mirror using the glue gun.
- Repeat Step 3 on the other side of the mirror using a belt buckle and tail that were cut off in the first steps. Remember that this part that will create the hanging effect, so be sure to leave enough room so the mirror can hang comfortably!
- Fasten the mirror securely to the wall in the same way you would hang a regular mirror. Hanging the mirror on a hook alone may not provide much stability and secureness for the mirror.
3. No-Sew Pillows
Decorative pillows can nicely complement any couch. Sometimes, decorative pillow prices are enough to scare away any customer. Instead of spending more than you would like on a pillow, make your own! It requires no sewing and all you’ll need is a pillow and a piece of fabric that is three times as wide and a few inches taller than the pillow.
- Place the pillow in the center of the fabric.
- Fold the bottom half of the fabric to the middle of the pillow and do the same to the top half.
- Take the remaining sides of the fabric and fold them into a triangular shape on each side.
- Fold the triangular sides across the middle of the pillow and tie the ends together into a square knot by tying the fabric over and under, and then under and over.
Apartments in Fairfax, VA
Lerner Falls at Flint Hill is a quick drive from various shopping centers, making it easy for you to purchase everything you need for your DIY needs! To learn more about our apartments, view our floorplans or call (703) 337-0957 today!